Blog >> Enhanced Conversions through Google ads
Enhanced Conversions through Google ads
Post By: Achyutlabs Agency
Sept 26, 2022
Online Privacy is something all the users love to have, but at the same time, all the popular tech companies also want to operate in a very private and safe way. For that, in particular, Google is set to replace third-party cookies with something new, Enhanced Conversions. Let’s understand this new technology!
What are Enhanced Conversions?
In short, this is something made to do conversion tracking more privately. one can achieve it by hashing the first-party data using a hashing algorithm (SHA256, to be exact). Hashing the data and sending it to Google ads helps improve Privacy as names and email addresses are converted into hashed text, thus making it harder to read.This mechanism of hashing the first-party data was first brought into effect by Facebook back in 2016. It provides privacy and guarantees accurate data, making everything smooth and improving overall performance.
Let’s understand how it works:
- uppose you go to an ad and click it. The site opens up, and you observe it for a while. You will visit the website shortly.
- Then you visit the website after a while and your purchase on the website.
- In both cases, your email account address was hashed and sent to Google. After the purchase was complete, an email address was hashed again and sent to Google.
- The hashed data matches all the Conversion events set up in the Google ads account. Here, the page visit, the purchase, and the verification were all recorded as conversions.
- Attribute these conversions back to the ad providing the brand with valuable data such as name and email address.
Using Google Tag Manager and Global Site tag
It always happens that something extra always has something different to offer as well. These Enhanced conversions often mean using them to improve reporting, better attribute conversions, and provide more data-driven optimization. Enhanced Conversion tracking will require changes to how you generally tag information, depending on whether you use GTM or gtag.
Google Tag Manager: This tag management system helps users add tracking codes and measurement tags to a website.
Global Site Tag (tag as mentioned earlier): It allows sending event data to Google Ads and other platforms. Instead of adding different titles, you can use only this one.
How to manually set up enhanced conversions?
Before you set up GTM or gtag, Google recommends the following options:
- You are familiar with the URL pages after a conversion takes place.
- Ensure first-party customer data is available on the page where the actual conversion occurs, i.e., name, email address, and phone number.
- You are familiar with how conversion tracking needs to be set up on your website. And you are ready to make minor changes whenever required.
- You agree to all of Google’s terms and conditions.
There are two ways by which enhanced conversions one can use:
- Using Google Tag Manager
- Using options that require knowledge regarding coding.
To use GTM, sign into your Google ads account, click on “Tools,” and then, under measurement, click on ‘Conversions.’ Find which Conversion event you would like to set up, and then click ‘Turn On Enhanced Conversions.’